... step into my garden

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nein


I would like to start off by saying I'm a big fan of musicals. I especially love Chicago, which I saw many times and loved it. I even saw it on Broadway (thanks again to a very special person who did that). So, naturally I was expecting to like Nine quite a bit. Did that happen? ... well ... let me explain...

The script is pretty good.  Daniel Day Lewis is in top shape, and, unlike Richard Gere or Pierce Brosnan, he can actually sing. The main attraction of the movie, which should be Penelope Cruz in case you are a little confused and don't know why you are going to see the movie, also delivers a very good and memorable performance. And so do the rest of the cast... or almost.

So what goes wrong? Well ... I'd probably have to say it's the music, which didn't really do it for me. And Kate Hudson ... who absolutely didn't do it for me. The movie itself is pretty good but in the end it often fails as a musical. I really feel sorry because they could have made something really good, but instead ended up with something not bad.

So is this is another Mamma Mia or Chicago? ... sadly ... nein.

No comments: